Week 6: Inspection and critique of an IT-ID model

Week 6 of the course brought us to reviewing and assessing an instructional design model for information technology.  It was only the second week that we tried to relate actually instructional design models with technology.  The model reviewed was iNtegrates Technology for inQuiry - The NTeQ Model.  The model had 10 components:

  • Specify Objecties
  • Computer Functions
  • Specify Problem
  • Data Manipulation
  • Results Presentation
  • Activities While at Computer
  • Activities Prior to Computer
  • After Using Computer
  • Supporting Activities
  • Assessment

When pondering responses to the weeks guiding questions, I found many steps in this model redundant at first.  Seemed ridiculous to specify all the individual activities around the one piece of software the learners will be using.  But after working on the group papers and reviewing the drafts of the design models, I started to see the need to be specific in instructional design.  If you have a very particular learning context in mind, then the designer must be very detailed in order to achieve the the desired result.  

This was one of the main concepts that I took from this weeks readings.  Many of my lessons that I design currently involve very little planning.  The front end analysis is minimal and the planning of the activities usually are not thought out to any degree.  Many times, I know what I want to teach and will teach that particular concept.  Over time, I will design or find activities to ensure the lesson improves from year to year.  This type of instructional design is called rapid prototyping.  After reading about the NTeQ model, even with it's redundancies, I see the need to have detailed components of the instructional design.  

In the future, I can see myself taking more time to think about the learners in my classroom and what and how exactly I want them to learn.

Morrison, G.R. et al. (1999).  Teacher as designer.  Integrating Computer Technology into the Classroom, pp. 37-60.  New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.  (Chapter 3)