Final Thoughts

What have I done in this course?

Throughout the course, I have read an abundance of literature, responded weekly to guiding questions, responded to my peers, created an instructional design model with my group, The Noble Nobels, wrote a paper with collaboration from my group and created my first ever blog.




What have I learned in this course?


Most of what I have learned must be reflected in all the work we have done about learning theories.  I have always understood that there were different learners in my classroom and tried my hardest to differentiate learning as best as I can, but having a background in the different learning theories such as historical perspectives and how they relate to instructional design and technology, will hopefully allow me be more effective in differentiating in my classroom.

The concept of instructional design was foreign to me before starting this course.  I have made great strides in the ideas and models of ID and have a general understanding of it's basic components by examining fundamental models such as the ADDIE model and the Dick and Carey model.

It is difficult for me to generalize what I have learned about technology in this course.  It was not about using or learning about new technologies, but about understanding their use and reflect on how they are used in the classroom.  By classifying software, it has allowed me relate many different pieces of technology to the type of learning theories, which will hopefully relate a better understanding of how my students use technology.


What changes in ideas, perspectives etc have I experienced as a result of this course?


The main idea that has resonated throughout all of my learning, whether it be reflecting on learning theories, instructional design or information technology, is that of constructivism.  For a while now, I thought about the big questions, "What is it that I want my students to know?" and "How do I know if they are learning?".  Every class you teach, these questions come up.  I can't help the past few years think that there is something missing in my classroom.  I could never pin point exactly what I needed nor did I have the time to figure it out.  This course forced me to reflect on my practices and actually gave me the background to finally figure out what was needed.

The notion that students create their own learning and the teacher works mostly as a facilitator is something that is not new to me, but always seemed impractical.  Direct instruction is a method of teaching that is tried and true, but I can't help and feel as though it supports superficial learning.  Constructivism supports a deeper understanding and promotes a type of learning that is more important to students by allowing their experiences to navigate what is learned.  I've always tried to create context in my science classrooms, bring in real-life examples and make it important for students.  As much as I try, they never seem to care.  I never thought that instead of me trying to create the context for the students that they should create the context themselves.  If this can happen in my room, I truly feel as though I will have more motivated learners.


What does it all mean to me now?


What does it all mean?  There is a loaded question.  One of the only things to do now is to implement these changes above to the best of my ability.  I've already reflected in week 7 that it is almost impossible to change because our system doesn't really allow for a constructivist approach.  But unfortunately I can't make these decisions and I can only try and change my classroom.  Hopefully, as I shift the way students learn in my classroom and then someone else might try things to support a shift in student learning.  

This course has allowed me to reflect on my teaching practices.  Very often, teachers can get stale.  Do the same thing year after year and even though we should be growing professionally, it doesn't always happen.  Moving forward next year into a brand new school, with state of the art technology, I can hopefully bring some of my knowledge to my staff and have them reflect on their teaching practices, the same way that I have with this course.  Something needs to be a catalyst for change and hopefully I can be that for my staff next year.  


Educational Technology & Society.  (2000).  Constructivism, Instructional Design, and Technology:  Implications for Transforming Distance Learning.  Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/3_2/tam.html

Analysis of Three Instructional Design Models.  (n.d.).  Retrieved from http://www.de-research.com/PhDFinalPapers/CT_3IDModels.pdf

Teaching Methods Direct Instruction.  (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/mcvittiej/methods/direct.html